Broken Windows Program
Tip Line: 440-992-7126
Citizens and non-citizens alike are Law Enforcement’s largest ally and they are the ‘eyes and ears’ of their local law enforcement agency. They are encouraged to call the Ashtabula City Police Department to report suspicious activity and dangerous/threatening conditions when the activity is observed. A department employee is available 24 hours a day by calling (440) 992-7174 to report in-progress activity. The information can be provided anonymously, however, details of the activity should be provided at the time of the call so the complaint can be investigated thoroughly. The Ashtabula City Crime Tip-Line, (440) 992-7126, is not answered 24 hours a day but messages can be left anonymously for the Detective Bureau.
Upon receipt of information members of the Detective Bureau rapidly disseminate the information through a vast Law Enforcement e-mail list to numerous agencies in northeast Ohio. As the information is investigated, criminal charges often follow the activity reported. Physical arrests, arrest warrants, and search warrants have and continue to occur based on information relayed to the Ashtabula City Police Department.
It is our intention to send a strong message to our Community that crime will not be tolerated in either the least offensive or most heinous forms & we are committed to improving upon core values where citizens can raise a family in a safe and respectable environment.
The Ashtabula City Police Department is initiating the implementation of “Broken Windows,” a newly adopted management philosophy which is comprised of the uniform and customary application of codified ordinances and State laws as they apply to the health and well being of the citizens of Ashtabula.
In conjunction with the City Manager, the Departments of Public Works, Sanitation, Planning & Community Development, Ward Representatives and the Ashtabula Metropolitan Housing Authority, the aspirations are to improve the overall quality of life by drastically reducing crime while at the same time increasing the appearance of this City.
It is our intention to send a strong message to our Community that crime will not be tolerated in either the least offensive or most heinous forms and we are committed to improving upon core values where citizens can raise a family in a safe and respectable environment.
Our goals, achievable under this management philosophy, are:
- Abating vegetation, removing waste and improving street lighting thereby reducing opportunities to commit crimes.
- Reduction of public nuisance and drug related crimes via strict enforcement by specially trained law enforcement personnel.
- Assertive enforcement of ‘junk’ vehicles and illegal dumping of waste.
- Beautifying the City’s public venues through continuous improvements.
- Increase tourism to our ports, fisheries, business merchants and fine dining establishments.
- Establishing recreation facilities for youths which do not require paid membership.
- Sustained enforcement by the Ashtabula City Police Department and other agencies capable of providing a save and secure environment.
-Chief Robert Stell