Today: September 21, 2020

Upcoming Events

6:00 pm Pre-Council Meeting @ Municipal Building
Pre-Council Meeting @ Municipal Building
Sep 21 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
The City Council meeting will remain as scheduled. However, due to the directives surrounding COVID – 19, it is highly recommended the public view the [...]
7:00 pm Council Meeting @ Municipal Building
Council Meeting @ Municipal Building
Sep 21 @ 7:00 pm
The Ashtabula City Council will hold a Council Meeting, using Zoom Teleconference, in accordance with the Ashtabula Municipal Charter Section 10 titled “TIME OF MEETING; [...]
8:00 am Safety Forces Committee Meeting @ Municipal Building
Safety Forces Committee Meeting @ Municipal Building
Sep 28 @ 8:00 am
Held on 2nd floor of the Municipal Building, in the Council Meeting Room.

View Calendar


If you are making any changes to the present condition of a premise or structure such as putting up a swimming pool, a shed, building a deck or a garage, will need to apply for a zoning permit. You will find some permits are designed to your specific needs and you will need to fill out the appropriate form.

Our review process usually takes up to a week. Once approved, you will be able to pick up your permit at our office and pay the fees due. (Note that permit fees will vary)

New Businesses are not required to obtain a plumbing inspection as stated on the form if the building is existing and there are no structural changes being made to the plumbing system that is in place.

We have listed the relevant applications for zoning requirements below. If you do not see the application you need, please visit our Engineering or Housing sections. The forms are in PDF format, therefore, you will have to print the form, fill it out, and return it to us for review. You can also fax it to (440) 992-7180 or scan it and email it back to

 zoning permit app fence permit app  New Business

Sign Permit app  Conditional Use Permit  Lot Split App

Administrative Board Appeal  JEDD Agreement app  Yard Sale app

New Address Assignment  Swimming Pool app


** Donation Bin(s) Application – Charitable Organizations interesting in filling out an application to place RECYCLING BINS within the City limits.


Our office does not issue Demolition Permits. You may obtain a demolition permit at the County Building Department in Jefferson.

Our office does not issue Building Permits. We will issue the zoning permit that you will take to the County Building Department in Jefferson where they will issue you a building permit.

You can also visit their website at: for more detailed information on building permits or you can call them at (440) 576-3737.

For more general information about our Ashtabula County Government Offices, you can visit their website at: